Home      Student Services
Student Services


Alpine College recognises that education is about more than just writing assignments and sitting exams. The learning environment also plays an important part in all students' growth and development. Therefore we aim to provide a supportive environment which enhances students' learning opportunities. Our administrative and other support staff are available to assist students with a range of issues including help in finding Job. 

Student ID Cards


All Alpine College students are issued a photo ID card when they enrol. This card must be carried at all times when on the College premises. Students may be asked to show their card in class or when entering through reception. This procedure is part of the College's security system and is designed to reduce the risk of unauthorised people gaining access to the buildings. The College reserves the right to refuse admission to any student who is unable to produce their ID card. 
If you lose your card please see Administration immediately.


Opening a Bank Account


There are a number of banks in the UK which can provide bank accounts. It is a good idea to talk to several banks, comparing their services and the types of accounts they have, their charges, the arrangements they have for transferring money from your country and the documents they require to open an account. 

You will be able to apply to Administration for a letter to assist you in opening an account. Please ask for a Request Form at Reception.


Council Tax Exemption


Council Tax is a tax in the UK set by the Local Authorities to pay for local services. It is based on property valuation. If you are living in student-only accommodation, you will not have to pay Council Tax. If you live with your family and no other non-student is sharing your house, you will not have to pay the tax as long as your spouse and children have been admitted to the UK with 'limited leave' as your dependants. If you live with people other than your family who are not students, then the property will be liable for Council Tax and the other people in the property (those who are not students) will have to pay it. 

Your name should not appear on the Council Tax bill as long as you give the Local Authority a letter from Administration proving that you are a full-time student. You will be eligible to apply for this letter from the college after one month of satisfactory enrolment. Please ask for a Request Form at Reception.


Registering with a GP


It is important to register with a doctor as soon as. Don't wait until you are ill. You can register with any doctor close to where you live. You can get a list of doctors from your local library or your local Health Authority or phone NHS Direct on 0845 4647 or search for GP Surgeries on the NHS website Take proof that you are a student and ask to be registered as an NHS patient.

For assistance with registering with a GP please see a member of the Administration Department.


Conversation Class


Alpine College offers a free conversation class for students to practise and improve their spoken English language skills. Classes are led by a native speaker.

Conversation classes are held every Wednesday from 14:40 to 16:00 in Room 2.


Learning Support


Alpine College provides free learning support to students whose first language is not English.

The Learning Support officer is available at the following times:

Mondays 12:00 – 13:00 (Room 2)

Wednesdays 10:30 – 13:00 and 14.00 – 17.00 (Room 2)